Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

September 23, 2014

Molly Joy

We welcomed Molly Joy into the world on September 12, 2014 at 11:55am. She weighed 8lb 5oz and was 20in long. She was perfectly healthy and scored a 9 on her APGAR screening which is the highest a baby can score in Colorado. My doctor even commented on how rare it was that both our children scored a perfect score. We already have high achievers!

 

Bonnie came to visit later on that afternoon and was so excited to meet Molly.

 

We ended up having to spend a lot more time in the hospital than we anticipated because I ended up having some medical issues. It turns out that I lost a lot of blood during the c section and my body was having a hard time bouncing back. I had my blood taken quite a lot during my stay and my blood levels kept decreasing. Finally on Sunday afternoon the on-call doctor made the decision that I needed a blood transfusion. I wasn't real excited about it but based on the way I was feeling at the time I figured I needed it. They gave me one pint of blood and then we had to wait to see if it would raise my blood levels. Basically, if it did then great but if it didn't that meant that I had some internal bleeding which would mean more surgery. Luckily my blood levels raised enough to where they felt confident it wasn't internal bleeding but just a significant loss of blood. I was finally released on Monday morning and we headed home. Actually we ran out of the hospital as soon as we could! I felt ok on Monday but by Wednesday I had pretty much convinced myself I was dying. I ended up sleeping ALL DAY on Wednesday and woke up feeling much better. I've come to learn over the past week that I need a lot of sleep just to function throughout the day. It's been difficult because I want to do things but just don't have the energy to do anything. The doctor told me it will take at least four months for my body to completely replenish all the blood I've lost. Until then I'm just taking it easy and loading up on a ton of iron.

We've been lucky to have a lot of help for the last couple of weeks. My mom came into town to help and then Matt's parents came for a few days. All of this drama has had little affect on Molly who has been eating like a pig. She lost a pound by the time we were able to leave the hospital but has been working very hard to gain it back. She sleeps like a dream most nights giving us between 3 and 4 hours between feedings which at this point is amazing. We are all just glad to be home and on the mend!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment