Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

July 16, 2009

Student Loan Hell

Only been out of school for 6 weeks and already I'm being harassed by the student loan people. It seems that they have taken to outright lying to trick me into thinking I should be paying them back now. Here's some of the better lies I've received in the past week.

1. The 6 month grace period after graduation doesn't apply to graduate students
2. Spring and Winter break while I was in school counted against my 6 month grace period after graduation
3. The graduation deferment is the same as the unemployment deferment
4. Deferment for my DU loans started before I even applied to DU (perhaps my favorite)
5. Payment is expected to Citibank on a loan that they sold to the Dept. of Education, who is also trying to collect on it
6. I graduated in March because "that's what the computer says" (also a classic)
7. If you are in school full-time and took out a loan, you have to call and "remind" Citibank that you are still a student every month
8. Graduation deferment doesn't "just happen" after graduation (what??)
9. Dept. of Ed: "So, the last school you attended was the University of Colorado?"
Lydia: "No, it was the University of Denver"
Dept. of Ed: "Oh, ok I see that you just graduated from the University of Denver in June"
Lydia: "Right. Why does my bill say I last went to the University of Colorado then?"
Dept. of Ed: "Because that's the last school you attended"


No comments:

Post a Comment