Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

August 8, 2009

Week 9 of Unemployment

Holy crap I can't believe it's already been 9 weeks since I graduated. The last few weeks have been quiet around here, at least on the job front. I keep applying but it seems the more jobs I apply to the fewer interviews I get. Part of me thinks I should just give it up for awhile and in a few months try again - maybe by then my competition will either have jobs or have given up too. This was my mentality until Thursday morning when I got a phone call from the Department of Labor.

Last April the law school was sending out job possibilities to its students in different fields because of the economy. Matt happened to pass one job along to me which we both thought would be just about the coolest job ever. The job is working for the Dept. of Labor doing investigations of reports of employment discrimination in companies contracted through the Federal government. This has been the first job that I really felt qualified for and applied even knowing that it was a long shot for me to get it (they received over 250 applications!). Well, Thursday morning I got a call asking if I wanted to come in for an interview to which I gave a overly enthusiastic "YES!!" The interview was Friday afternoon and felt like it went well but now it's all about the waiting game....again.

On the house front, we fired our first real estate agent. Didn't take long but we all knew it was bound to happen. Jan and Bernie pulled some strings and we were put in contact with another real estate agent who is amazing. We absolutely love her and trust her opinion. With that being said, we've completely changed course and are no longer looking in the city we originally thought but are either thinking of staying on the western side of Denver of maybe on the southern side. This house hunting thing is difficult and time consuming!

We leave on Monday for Hawaii and it looks like we aren't the only ones with that same idea. Hurricane Felicia has decided she too needs a vacation to Hawaii and just so happened to pick the same week we did - how convenient of her! From the latest weather reports it looks like she may fizzle out before reaching Hawaii so all we may get is a couple days of rain. If not, it looks like we'll be in for a really memorable vacation!

No comments:

Post a Comment